Prototype 1 – Making Tiles

Now that I have finished my magnetic base, it’s time to start making some tiles…

I already determined a while back that a 2×1.3″ magnet will sufficiently hold one of my 3×3″ squares to a 2×2 square of Flex Iron.  How did I arrive at 2×1.3?  This is 1/3rd the size of a business card.  Business card shaped magnets are one of the cheapest pre-cut magnet styles available, so I bought a bunch of them

I cut the business card magnets into 3rds until I had a fairly large pile.  Unfortunatley I don’t have a picture of this.

Next, I went though the tedious task of peeling adhesive magnets off the magnets and sticking them to the center of each tile.  I tried to find the “bad side” of each wood tile and stick the magnet on that.

After I generated about 40 tiles, I couldn’t resist.

 

I spent the next few hours making tiles until I finally had 256 – the number of cells in the 4×4′ base.  It turned out great!  Most of the people I showed this to liked the natural wood as is.  Unfortunately, this is not what Mega Wall is all about.  These tiles are going to be painted.

A cool benefit of the Foam Core base is the raised look it provides for the “art.”  Also because the Foam Core I ordered was about 1/8 inch less than the 48″ I requested, the base was a hair smaller than the mosaic.  Luckily, I think this actually looks better – It gives the mosaic sort of a floating effect.

 

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Mosiac Project, Prototype 1, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s